New & Improved! An Introduction to OJS 3 – [Slides]
Sonya Betz, Digital Initiatives Projects Librarian, University of Alberta
Student Journals Show & Tell
Crystal Snyder, Coordinator, Undergraduate Research Initiative, University of Alberta (Spectrum) – [Slides]
Jody Nelson, Nursing Librarian, MacEwan University (Interdisciplinary Dialogue)
Laura Castro de la Guardia, University of Alberta, Editor in Chief (Alberta Academic Review)
Life After Beall’s List: Finding and Evaluating Open Access Journals – [Slides]
Devina Dandar, Scholarly Communications Librarian, Royal Roads University
Faculty Panel: Why We Publish Where We Publish
Dr. Lynne Honey, Professor & Chair, Department of Psychology, MacEwan University
Dr. Ian Mann, Professor & Canada Research Chair in Space Physics, University of Alberta
Dr. Mark A. McCutcheon, Professor, Literary Studies, Athabasca University
Questions posed to each panelist:
- What are some of the publishing norms and expectations specific to your discipline?
- What criteria do you personally consider when determining where to publish?
- How much does where people publish in your field influence things like promotion, tenure, and grants?
- What role do research metrics play in this (including journal impact factors, how many times works have been cited, how many times people have engaged with a work in the media and/or on social media)?
- What are your general thoughts on open access publishing options? What about when it comes to whether or not you retain author copyright over your work?
- What are some ways that academic libraries could be doing more to support faculty when it comes to publishing and assessing research impact?
What is ORCID and Why Does it Matter? – [Slides]
Christina Hwang, Faculty of Science Librarian, University of Alberta
Talking to Faculty and Students About Open Access – [Slides]
Facilitated by Amanda Wakaruk, Copyright Librarian, University of Alberta, Robyn Hall, Scholarly Communications Librarian, MacEwan University, & Richard Hayman, Associate Professor & Digital Initiatives Librarian, Mount Royal University